White plantation shutters have been a classic in homes across the United States for years. These window treatments are preferred for their energy efficiency, light control and clean lines that complement many different home styles. Additionally, white goes with just about any color, even as décor trends progress over the years.
With white window treatments, it’s to be worried that the sun might discolor them. This is particularly true if your home receives intense sunlight or faces south. It’s useful to know that not all window treatments are manufactured the same. And that some plantation shutters are more susceptible to yellowing than others. Here’s why.
Why Plantation Shutters Turn Yellow
The sun’s ultraviolet rays are responsible for giving you harmful sunburns. They’re also responsible for discoloring your white plantation shutters, especially if you have poorly or overseas-made shutters. These damaging rays can attack the protective coating over time. Once the coating is gone, the sun could discolor the paint and cause it to become yellow.
Scheduled cleaning will help keep your shutters looking bright. But once they start turning yellow, there isn’t much you can do to fix it. The best way to stop your shutters from yellowing is to take advantage of high-quality treatments that are custom made for your home.
Why Cheap Plantation Shutters Are More Susceptible to Yellowing and Other Issues
Like a number of other things you buy for your home, you get what you pay for when it comes to window treatments. Here’s why cheap or off-the-shelf plantation shutters aren’t as worthwhile as they initially seem to be.
- They might not fit your windows very well. For top energy efficiency and light control, plantation shutters work best if they fit tightly against the window frame. Cheaper plantation shutters are frequently not a good fit, and your efficiency and light management may drop as a result.
- They’re manufactured from poor materials. Cheaper plantation shutters are reliant on low-quality materials, such as vinyl and composite, and are frequently hollow. In addition to yellowing, they may also be more vulnerable|exposed|susceptible]512] to warping, fracture or chipping.
- They’re thinly protected with low-quality paint. Cheap paint frequently contains volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These chemicals can be emitted by your shutters over time, producing headaches and eye and nasal irritation in a number of people. It’s also beneficial to know that poor-quality paint might not come with a protective UV coating, which can hasten the yellowing process.
- They’re made overseas. You never know the sort of quality you could get with plantation shutters that are built overseas. They are typically lower quality than ones that are made in America.
- They may need continuous maintenance. Poorly made plantation shutters often need frequent maintenance if parts shake loose or louvers begin to droop. On some occasions, you may not be able to repair sagging louvers if your shutters don’t use tension screws.
- They don’t provide a warranty.
Louver Shop of Colorado Plantation Shutters Are Guaranteed Against Yellowing and Other Problems
At Louver Shop of Colorado, we’ve been building our company on exceptional plantation shutters for some time. Here’s why investing in our shutters is a smart decision for your home.
- Our plantation shutters are customized for your home. No two homes or windows are identical, and your window treatments should reflect that. We begin our process with a free, in-home consultation so you can compare all available options in detail. From material to louver size and frame style, you’ll have an opportunity to fully customize your plantation shutters. And with our free professional measurements and free standard installation, you’re guaranteed to get a perfect fit with your new shutters.
- Our plantation shutters are made from superior materials. Whether you select our polymer LouverWood® shutters for top energy efficiency or Heritage shutters for the most traditional look, you’re getting window treatments made from premium materials. We utilize an exclusive polymer and furniture-grade hardwoods in our shutters that not only look fantastic but perform for years.
- Our plantation shutters are colored with exclusive paints. Louver Shop of Colorado plantation shutters are finished with proprietary water-based paints. These paints are safer for you and your family since they’re nontoxic and low in VOCs. They’re also guaranteed against fading and yellowing.
- Our plantation shutters are made in the USA. We manufacture your custom shutters domestically in Gainesville, Georgia. Not only are they better quality, this means you’ll also receive them much sooner, generally within a few weeks.
- Our plantation shutters are low maintenance. Our shutters are simple to clean and won’t need to be tightened.
- Our plantation shutters are protected by one of the best limited warranties. Louver Shop of Colorado plantation shutters are guaranteed against some of the most common issues, including yellow, fading, cracking, peeling, sagging and warping. They also include a lifetime limited warranty on moving parts, workmanship and the painted finish.
Start Designing Your Custom Plantation Shutters with Louver Shop of Colorado Today
Plantation shutters are an investment in your sense of style. Picking the right ones means you’ll enjoy stunning shutters for years with worry-free performance. With your vision and our expertise, you’re certain to create window treatments you’ll love. Begin elevating your home with Louver Shop of Colorado by requesting your free, in-home consultation today! Call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule your appointment now.